God's Choices Can Be
- Individual or Group (Corporate)
- Conditional or Unconditional
- Resistible or Irresistible
- Pre-Creation, Pre-birth, Pre-Conversion, Post-Conversion
- To grant Salvation, Apostleship, Kingship, Adoption, Fruit, etc.
For example... some might say that God's choice of John the Baptist was:
5) for the purpose of introducing Jesus to mankind.
This position suggests that God chose an individual, John, to introduce Jesus rather than a group like the Pharisees. God's choice was unconditional because it was not based on John's goodness or any other trait. God's choice was irresistible because John had no choice in the matter. God's choice was pre-birth because God's choice was made before John was born. John was chosen to introduce Jesus to the world.
Here is a passage about John the Baptist:
"13 But the angel said to him, "Don't be afraid, Zacharias, because your request has been heard. Your wife, Elizabeth, will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. 14 You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. 15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine nor strong drink. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. 16 He will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to prepare a people prepared for the Lord." Luke 1:13-17
If you review the above passage, you will see all five aspects of God's choice.
Individual, unconditional, irresistible, pre-birth and for the purpose of introducing the Lord Jesus to mankind.
Examples of God's Choices from Scripture
- Corporate: Ephesians 1:4 ("us in Him")
- Individual: 1 Samuel 16:1-13 (v12)
- Conditional: James 2:5, 1 Samuel 16:1-13 (v7), John 15:16 ("that whatever you will ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you" is conditioned on 15:7)
- Unconditional: Luke 1:13-17 (John the Baptist)
- Resistible: James 2:5, Isaiah 5:1-7 (v4), Exodus 9:34, 35
- Irresistible: 1 Samuel 16:1-13, Exodus 14:4
- Pre-birth: Luke 1:13-17 (John the Baptist)
- Post-Conversion: Jonah 3:5-10 (Nineveh believed in v5. When God saw their repentance, He chose to not destroy Nineveh in v10.)
- Chosen to various ends and purposes: